Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:31:16 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        gibbs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Uh oh.  Looks like something broke with the AHC driver..

I'm just testing the 4.3-BETA2 on my standard scratchbox (a dual PIII/500
with two 9.1GB Quantum drives) and with the latest BETA build, I'm
seeing an unusual problem during extraction of the distribution bits:

First, I start getting the following message looping on the
console:

(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
<repeat about 5 times>

(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): SCB 0x12 - timed out in Data-out phase, SEQADDR == 0x8
STACK == 0x3, 0x181, 0x16b, 0x0
SXFRCTL0 == 0x80
ahc0: Dumping Card State at SEQADDR 0x8
SCSISEQ = 0x12, SBLKCTL = 0xa, SSTAT0 0x0
SCB count = 90
Kernel NEXTQSCB = 20
Card NEXTQSCB = 20
QINFIFO entries:
Waiting Queue entries:
Disconnected Queue entries:
<what follows is a list of queue entry information too long to type>

Suffice it to say that the installation croaks at this point.  Now
here's the interesting bit: This only happens reliably if I enable
soft updates on the root partition.  Any real correlation?  I have no
idea.  Anyway, JFYI.  If I can start reproducing it in other ways,
I'll let you know whether I've started to consider it a release
show-stopper bug or not.

- Jordan