Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 03:23:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'fxp' driver/hardware lossage (was Re: Alexander B. Povol's mail)

Are any of the folks who have "fxp driver" problems using aliases?  I had
an ip alias die on me the other day with a pile of

	arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for n.n.n.n.

where n.n.n.n was aliased on fxp0.  2.2-STABLE ~9/9/97

It probably just is a coincidence that this happened to me on fxp0; at
about the same time i installed the pro/100b I started sending rip
announcements up to the system through ppp0 from another box that has an
ip address on the same network as fxp0's home via the miracle of proxyarp.
This scenario has only happened once in about 6 weeks.

To get things unconfused I had to say 'ifconfig fxp0 alias ...' again.

Obviously this has nothing to do with the fxp driver per se, just that the
symptoms were as these people described (at least as far as the ip alias
was concerned.)  Traffic through fxp0's true home network was not
affected.

-Chris