Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 15:33:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <cagey@sunshine.net>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re:OOPS: Question on preparing for Re-Install

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Wes Peters wrote:

> Kevin Eliuk writes:
>  > > 		wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
>  > > 		wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Maxtor 71084 AP>
>  > > 		wd0: 1036MB (2121840 sectors), 2105 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T,
>  > > 		512 B/S
>  > > 		(LBA OnTrack 7.04)
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This may just be what bit your original installation; you cannot use
> "LBA" mode with FreeBSD.  You *must* tell FreeBSD the *real* geometry
> of the disk.

Although I am reluctant to differ, that was the one thing I remember
checking out prior to my initial installation. [timeout] It took me some
find it but here it is from FAQ37 ...

2.15. What about disk managers? My BIOS doesn't support large drives!

   FreeBSD recognises the Ontrack Disk Manager and makes allowances for
   it. Other disk managers are not supported.

   If you just want to use the disk with FreeBSD you don't need a disk
   manager. Just configure the disk for as much space as the BIOS can
   deal with (usually 504 megabytes), and FreeBSD should figure out how
   much space you really have. If you're using an old disk with an MFM
   controller, you may need to explicitly tell FreeBSD how many cylinders
   to use.

   If you want to use the disk with FreeBSD and another operating system,
   you may be able to do without a disk manager: just make sure the the
   FreeBSD boot partition and the slice for the other operating system
   are in the first 1024 cylinders.

    Updated April 10, 1997

As well I checked for differences between c:\pfdisk 0 and sysinstall
partition editor, and there was none.

> Yeah, 5 meg is pretty minimal for FreeBSD.  I recently upgraded from 16M
> to 32M because I was tired of paging while running Emacs and Netscape
> under X!  ;^)

If anyone has any connections with chip brokers let me know,because I know
the chips and daughter board are available, but at a premium through the
suppliers that deal with old merchandise.

> --
>           "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
>
> Wes Peters                                                       Softweyr LLC
> http://www.xmission.com/~softweyr                       softweyr@xmission.com

				|  \    kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net     /  |
				|    \	     Kevin G. Eliuk        /    |