Date:      Tue, 05 May 1998 09:40:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Gerard <gerard@dimensional.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound card no longer works after 2.2.2 to 2.2.6

Hello,

I recently did a 'make world', and rebuilt my kernel to upgrade my system
from 2.2.2 to 2.2.6. Now I can't get my sound card to work anymore. It's
configuration in the kernel is the same as before, startup shows that it's
detected,
        sb0 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 on isa
        sb0: <SoundBlaster 2.1>
and I've done a 'MAKEDEV' /dev/snd0 (are there any other /dev
files it uses?). Playing CD's does nothing and sounds sometimes give the
error "DMA Timed out - IRQ/DMA Conflict Error?" Here's what's in my kernel:

controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
#options         "SBC_IRQ=7"
#device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 1  # drq 7 ?
#options         "SB16_DMA=1"    # DMA 9 ?
#device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
#device mss0     at isa? port 0x530 irq 10 conflicts drq 1 vector adintr

I've tried variations on the above such as removing the 'conflicts' from
sb0, uncommenting any and all of the other options and sb devices (lpt0,
which also uses IRQ 7 is commented out). The only thing that gets my
sound card to do anything is commenting out sb0 and using 'mss0', however
the volume is exceeding loud with lots of feedback. The sound card itself
is a Reveal in the ISA slot, and it works/ed with 2.2.2 and Windows 95.

Thanks for any help!

Gerard Giamberdine

 E-Mail: Gerard <gerard@dimensional.com>