Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:44:57 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, <ml@alleyoop.m8.ntu.edu.tw>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about the size of swap

Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> types:
> >    It seems that handbook suggest we've at least had 2x main memory size of
> >
> >        swap . Is it ok for a machine with 2.5 GB RAM and 500 MB swap space ?
> It will work, you can run a system with no swap if you have enough RAM
> to hold all your applications. There are some debugging features that
> will be unavailable to you if you have less swap than RAM, but if you're
> not doing debugging the system will run just fine.

Yeah, like dumps of the kernel when you panic :-(. 2x comes from the
days when that was the minimum you needed to get a panic dump, and at
the time was considered a minimum.

If the idea was to stuff the box so that you'd never swap, allocating
500MB as a buffer so you have a warning that you've run out of memory
other than running out of virtual, then it's cool. If you're planning
on doing things that are going to *use* 2.5GB of real, you probably
want to put in more swap. Note that "use" does not include having
2.4GB of disk cache, so some applications may not count.

	<mike