Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2003 03:00:31 +0900
From:      "R. Imura" <imura@ryu16.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving some items out of src/sbin to src/usr.sbin

Hi, Bruce,

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 10:25:26PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> mount_smbfs isn't actually dynamically linked currently:
>
> %%%
> $ file /sbin/mount_smbfs
> /sbin/mount_smbfs: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 5.0, statically linked, stripped
> %%%
>
> The world was built with NOSHARED=yes.
>
> This seems to be a bug in mount_smbfs/Makefile:
>
> %%%
> # Needs to be dynamically linked for optional dlopen() access to
> # userland libiconv (see the -E option).
> #
> NOSHARED?=	NO
> %%%
>
> If it really needs to be dynamically linked, then NOSHARED should
> be set unconditionally.

When statically linked, mount_smbfs is limited to no character conversion
based on libiconv.so, because dlopen() returns "Service unavailable".
Since smbfs works fine w/o code conversion, if someone wants, he can
make it statically linked. I think European need dynamically linked
for their character code conversion purpose.
(In my case, I(japanese) don't use -E option for mount_smbfs, because
it doesn't work for 16bit chars, so I can make it statically linked.)

Anyway, I think this is not a bug of mount_smbfs/Makefile, IMHO.

- R. Imura