Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 18:30:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should IPFilter be pulled from FreeBSD as well

:I'm not sure which system you're talking about here.  We call it
:IPFILTER in FreeBSD, and it's in the kernel source tree.  If the worst
:comes to the worst, we can move it to the ports, where you would be
:correct, but I'm personally confident that we'll come to a
:clarification which will leave it where it is.
:
:Greg

    I agree.  I don't see a problem.  It isn't the default, so the
    worst we should do is properly comment the kernel option in
    LINT so people who use it know where they stand.  We (the FreeBSD crowd)
    pretty much give the original developers total control over the
    management of their work in our tree anyway so as long as Daren is
    still actively dealing with it, which Daren obviously is, there is
    no conflict with *US*.  If someone outside of our control wants to mess
    with Daren's code I doubt it would be a big deal them getting Daren's
    permission.  Like many authors, he just wants to make sure his code
    isn't abused.  I had a similar clause in Diablo though I never expected
    anyone to take it seriously :-)  I dunno if it is still there... when
    I gave Diablo over to openusenet.org I gave them permission to adjust
    the copyright appropriately.

    When Daren gets tired of doing ipf and moves onto his next best thing
    we can renegotiate the copyright to open it up entirely so others can
    take over management, or we can remove the code then.  We certainly do
    not need to remove anything now.  I consider it a learning experience
    for Daren and frankly can't imagine any outcome N years from now other
    then it opening up.

					-Matt