Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2019 14:06:26 -0800
From:      Marcel Flores <marcel@brickporch.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ThunderX2 from Gigabyte

<shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
> wrote:
>=20
>> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 10:44:23PM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> I've eyed that board as well, but did not hear any sucess stories.
>>=20
>> Work is ongoing to get FreeBSD working on the ThunderX2. I'm working
>> with FreeBSD's/Cavium's Jayachandran to resolve some firmware bugs.
>> We're getting pretty close, but still have a few issues to work out.
>> I'm really hoping to have FreeBSD and/or HardenedBSD running on ours
>> within the next month or two.
>>=20
> What manufacturer are you using for your prototype hardware? I'm =
trying to
> discern if there are hardware differences between the aforementioned
> Gigabyte server and - for instance - the ASA computers offer:
> https://www.asacomputers.com/Cavium-ThunderX.html

The ThunderX2 is supposedly a significant improvement over (and =
therefore significant change from) the ThunderX which you=E2=80=99ve =
linked from ASA =E2=80=94 though both chips are from Cavium with boards =
from Gigabyte.

The ThunderX seems to run FreeBSD11.2 with no issue, though I surely =
can=E2=80=99t get mine to boot 12+.

-m=