Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 23:17:21 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Subject:   Re: IP tunneling

Nadav Eiron wrote:

> Paul T. Root wrote:
> >
> > This is kind of a pie in the sky question.
> >
> > Is there any software for Unix (FreeBSD or whatever else) that would allow
> > me to do IP tunneling in IP. What I mean is can I setup some software that
> > will make 2 or more machines think they are directly connected to each other
> > while actually being a couple of hops apart.
> >
> > Cisco's can do this cisco to Cisco.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paul.
> > --
> > "I think I left it in the basement.  I'll run upstairs and have a look."
> >                                                         --M.C. Escher
>
> ppp (user-mode PPP) supports PPP over TCP. It's not quite the same, but
> it may be good enough for you.
>
> The man page in 3.0-current has more info (I think it also works with
> older versions, but it's not that well documented).
>
> Nadav

There is a piece of software called "NOS" that is used for ham radio
that
does what you want, I think. You can assign it an IP address (it can
be a bogus 10. address) and it will "encapsulate" the 10. packets
in the normal IP packets from your host. This is called an "Encap
Gateway".

Try looking it up on one of the search engines...there is a lot of info.
The software is available for download from oak.oakland.edu in the
Simtel 20
stuff.

-Jim Durham