Date:      Sun, 7 Aug 2005 21:24:24 GMT
From:      Hans Meyer <asstech@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/84656: kernel panic when kern.maxdsiz is => hw.physmem

>Number:         84656
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       kernel panic when kern.maxdsiz is => hw.physmem
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I saw the other PRs

when setting kern.maxdsiz in /boot/loader.conf to a higher value than hw.physmem a kernel panic right after the kernel load when real memory and available memory should appear.

this appearently is hardware related because it happens on Sempron and other P4/Asus motherboards but not on AMD XP/Asus MBs. Memory amount does not matter, I get it on 1 to 4GB RAM. On AMD the higher value is accepted and the machine runs fine even when swapping after.

Compiling MAXDSIZ or setting in loader.conf makes no diference as well as acpi enable or not

The panic messages are cannot allocate virtual memory

there is no core
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

remove /boot/loder.conf