Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 19:21:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: Minutes of the Thursday, April 13th core team meeting in Berkeley.

I was involved peripherally in the 4.1x BSD releases, mainly because they
had all these silly little scripts they needed written and us undergrads were
easy prey.

> We are on the hook to make 2.1 everything 1.1.5.1 is and now it looks
> like we'll be doing that all the way up through June.  This is only
> right and proper since that's genuinely how long it's going to take to
> do a 1.1.5.1 equivalent,

Bravo! I salute you!

> but this still leaves things like the
> upcoming 2.0.6 unaccounted for.  How do we deal with this in the
> future so that it's not such a mess?

(1) 2.0 was released too early. A lot of the changes subsequent to 2.0 should
    have been in 2.0. We know why 2.0 was released when it was. That's not
    a problem.

(2) There should have been a 2.0.1 release prior to the inclusion of the slice
    code.

(3) There should be interim releases prior to the addition of *any* major
    functionality. That includes devfs.

(4) The snaps should be kept up, to keep interest up.

FreeBSD looks to me very much like 4BSD was between 4.1 and 4.2. A lot of *new*
stuff is going in, and it's hurting stability. A series of interim releases
when new stuff begins to gel are needed.