Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:25:16 -0800
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@vicor.com>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd@fadesa.es, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, riggs@rrr.de
Subject:   Re: Poor audio quality with festival and hw.snd.pcm0.vchans > 0

Michael Nottebrock wrote:

>> Excellent!, now it works. Doing a resample to 44100 Hz the nasty sound
>> disappears.
>> Just by using "mplayer -ao oss:/dev/dsp0.3 -srate 44100 /cdrom/*avi"
>> everything works fine.
>

> Metoo. Maybe this information should be included into a
> package/port-message for the mplayer port.

fyi - It's really probably more to do with the vchan implementation in general
and not specific to mplayer. I ran into this simply playing wave data.
16khz data were noisy; Higher sample rates (e.g., 11025hz) played more cleanly.

I believe that Orion and Cameron were discussing work-arounds and
possibly even an eventual re-design (apparently far from trivial).

Ken Marx, kmarx@vicor-nb.com
Even the simplist minds see the need to not stand pat and objectify the risk
analysis.
		- http://www.bigshed.com/cgi-bin/speak.cgi