Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:23:56 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports problems -- FIXED

> "Shooting yourself in the foot" doesn't actually refer to making a mistake.
> It's what soldiers did in the Great War, to escape the hell in the trenches.
> You don't usually die from a rifle bullet in the foot, but it certainly
> takes you out of service for a long while. It describes an act of
> desperation.

Nope!  Please see http://www.xrefer.com/entry/636711 -- here,
I'll do it for you.

shoot oneself in the foot
    Foolishly harm one's own cause, as in He really shot
    himself in the foot, telling the interviewer all about
    the others who were applying for the job he wanted. This
    colloquial term alludes to an accidental shooting as
    opposed to a deliberate one done so as to avoid military
    service

This may have something to do with what can happen when your
gun goes off while attempting to unholster it (in a gunfight,
of course!).  At least that is how I envision the meaning of
this phrase!  IIRC this phrase is older than the Barney Fife
era though he may have been _the_ master own-foot shooter.