Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:07:47 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        <doug@safeport.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup is overkill for me

doug@safeport.com types:
> 2) What track to follow:
>      If you are learning and do not want to get bitten by a occasional STABLE
>      snafu, use the tag RELENG_4_4 (See handbook A.7). This has only security
>      and critical fixes in it. From my perspective CURRENT is only for the
>      developer/experts and the warning on STABLE is overly cautious. Even with
>      that I have a test system that I upgrade first and then used the 'date' tag
>      to replicate that level to the production systems.

Your perspective on CURRENT is pretty much correct. Anyone tracking
-current for anything but testing should be capable of at least
providing good debugging information, and preferably should be able to
suggest patches for the problem.

The handbook may be overly cautious, but it's better to be incorrectly
running _4_4 when you can stand the glitches in _4 than to be
incorrectly running _4 when the glitches in it will be a serious
problem.

Finally, rather than use the date tag to replicate the level of the
test system, I prefer to build on one system, and use NFS to export
that build to all the systems. Since my build system is noticably
faster than the other systems, this safes time. It also means I'm
running the exact same bits for world on all the systems, which makes
me feel a bit better. The downside is that the build system has to
build for 1) the least common denominator hardware and 2) everything
that any system will need, but neither is a serious problem.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.