Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:21:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        tech@squid.tznet.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUN TO BSD

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>Does anyone know of a program, utility, or someone that knows code well
>enough, to convert the SUNOS (5.7) password files to FreeBSD 4.0 password
>files?

>Can this, has this, would this ever, be able to be done?

>We have a Sun box that has 10k users, it sucks.

>We want to switch from Sun and go to BSD all the way.

>Is this even possible? I don't want to type in 10,000 user's names and
>passwords by hand.

It is fairly trivial, provided you have DES passwords enabled in
FreeBSD (hmm... could be the "basic crypto" distribution you pick
during installation, I don't remember).

Find someone with some Perl[1] programming skills, point them at the
passwd(5) man-page on FreeBSD and the passwd(4) and shadow(4)
man-pages on solaris.  The task is to merge the information from
the solaris files into a /etc/master.passwd[2] on FreeBSD (without
overwriting anything already in that file:-).  Then run pwd_mkdb(8)
to build the database files.

   $.02,
   /Mikko

[1] Sure, other languages might do, but Perl really shines at this
    kind of work.  Heck, a real Perl guru could probably do the whole
    thing as a one-liner...

[2] Do experiment on a separate file to begin with :^)
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com
 RSA Security