Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:21:10 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   docs in DocBook

I've been going through the DocBook version of the handbook trying to
tidy it up for printing.  I've found a number of problems with lines
which are too long.  In many cases, it was easy enough to fix them,
but I'm not clear whether the commit freeze is still in effect.  If it
is, I think we should consider thawing it.

The other problem I have is that the formatting seems to have
problems.  In particular, the <screen> and <programlisting> tags have
an annoying tendency to wrap where they shouldn't, even inserting
hyphens.  If they see a lone hyphen on a long line, they'll break
there regardless of position, so something like this:

#  diablo-if-net - Text filter for Diablo printer `scrivener' listening
#  on port 5100.  Installed in /usr/local/libexec/diablo-if-net

gets formatted as:

#  diablo-if-net -
Text filter for Diablo printer `scrivener' listening
#  on port 5100.  Installed in /usr/local/libexec/diablo-if-
net

I believe that these tags should not wrap at all.  It's up to TeX to
signal an overfull \hbox.

Greg