Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:36:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jalves@bsi.com.br (Joao Alves Junior)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Reboots with kernel ppp and COMMULTIPORTS

> Hello all, I work at an ISP in Brazil. I have some machines accepting
> calls, but they are rebooting between four and six times per month.
> This is the configurations of my machines
>
> COMPAQ DX2 66 20 MB RAM 400 MB HD
> CYCLOM 16YE
> 16 spoortster 33.600 modens
>
> kernel pppd
> /etc/options/ppp
> modem
> ctrscts
> mtu 296
>

> IBM DX2-66 16 MB RAM
> Naxos Musa
> kernel pppd
> 16 sporsteer 33.600 modens
>
> The error messages that I got are:
>
> Page fault while in kernel mode and
>
> freeing: free blocks

Which version of FreeBSD are you running?

> I looked at SMM and saw that this messages could be  from hardware errors.
>
> But I think that, the multiports and the PC are from different marks and
> they work well sometimes for ten or twelve or fifteen days.
> The kernel has 16 ppp devices, GATEWAY and COM_MULTIPORT options
> maxusers 100

HELLO, why such a high number for maxusers??  This is probably a Bad Idea.

Try maxusers 16 or maxusers 32.  If these boxes are JUST doing ppp, the
original maxusers 10 is actually probably just fine.

Setting maxusers too high will lead to high kernel memory utilization -
you are wasting memory.  This could potentially cause a panic, but I have
no idea if it would be the panic that you are seeing.

> the /etc/ttys is
>
> ttyc0  "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400" unknown on secure
> for the CYCLOM terminals
>
> ttyd4	"/usr/libexec/getty std.38400" unknown on secure
> for Musa terminals
>
> I tried to change "unknown" to dialup, but nothing changed.

Makes no difference.  That is the initial setting of the TERM environment
variable.

... JG