Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 13:15:55 -0700
From:      Ed Hall <edhall@weirdnoise.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Memory and Reality

At Yahoo! we use a lot of shared memory, both in the form of .so's and
for IPC.  It would be very useful to be able to accurately measure the
amount of shared and private memory associated with a process, the
number of references to a given shared memory object, resident vs. non-
resident pages, and so forth.

Determining just what is shared and by how many is the hardest part.
When I asked Peter Wemm about sussing out this sort of info from
proc/*/map, he made some comments about the difficulty of knowing what
actually was shared and what wasn't, how the refcounts aren't exactly
what one might think they are, and so forth.  The same sort of ambiguity
seemed to exist regarding just what is resident (with the term defined
as "in RAM with no need to retrieve from secondary storage") and what
isn't.

Are things really this bad?  Is there a tool out there that can make
sense of FreeBSD's memory state with more accuracy and detail than
"ps" or "top"?  This is a serious issue.  Whether this is exclusively
a FreeBSD problem or not, developers tend to see it that way.

		-Ed