Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:45:16 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@deepcore.dk>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

John Baldwin wrote:

> FYI, I've seen weird in-memory corruption with machines with the HT1000=
_S1=20
> atapci device.  In all the cases I've seen so far, a single page is cor=
rupted=20
> with garbage and the page happens to be used by UMA to hold credentials=
=20
> including proc0's credentials.  I've seen this corruption (trashed cred=
s for=20
> proc0 and other creds in that page) on many of the same boxes (Dell 143=
5's=20
> IIRC) running on 6.2.  I've tried switching the HT1000_S1 to use SWKSMI=
O=20
> rather SWKS100 as I mentioned to you in an earlier e-mail (the Linux dr=
iver=20
> uses equivalent of SWKSMIO FWIW) but don't have any conclusive tests on=
 that.

>  =20
OK, seems the chipset has some real problems, I have digged through all=20
the (very little) docs and info I got from serverworks back when, and=20
the only thing I can find is that the chips doesn't support MSI in any=20
shape or fashion or it will do really strange things.
Now on my system it seems to be disabled but I'm not sure yet how its=20
determined to be that way. Would be worth for you guys to check what the =

sysctl's "hw.pci.enable_msi" and "hw.pci.enable_msix" are set to.
I havn't looked into this yet, but I'm pretty sure we added MSI support=20
in the 6.2 -> 7.0 timeframe, so that might have uncovered this chipset=20
bug, and possibly the Promise data corruption one as well.

-S=F8ren