Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 01:11:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        imp@village.org, nate@sri.MT.net, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, root@deadline.snafu.de
Subject:   Re: tty-level buffer overflows - what to do?

As Joe Greco wrote:

> > My notebook (same equipment) keeps up with 38400 bps using a 3-wire
> > interface (no handshake), and gets ~ 7.8 KB/s through a SLIP line
> > (actually ppp now) running at 115 kbps, using hardware handshake.
>
> With 16_4_50's?  With 16550's I easily see the same behaviour...

Of course. :)  I've been really surprised about the speed gain after
Bruce's first optimizations of the sio driver.  This is a Really Old
notebook, bought rather cheap.  The UART is a builtin 16450, and i
don't stand a real chance to hook an ethernet card upon it.  (There's
something that resembles a crippled ISA bus, i've also figured out the
pin assignment, but as soon as my NE1000 starts to generate more than
the occasional ping traffic, the entire bus locks hard.  There's no
chance to use a more advanced card, since the bus doesn't have memory
select signals nor DREQ/DACK, only IRQ3 and IOR/IOW.)

--
cheers, J"org