Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:51:26 +0000
From:      Tim Bishop <tim-lists@bishnet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   STABLE on a new production system

Hi all,

I'm about to start building a new production server (web and e-mail
mainly) and I'm pondering which version of FreeBSD to install. All my
other productions machines are running either -STABLE or in the most
important cases a security branch. I follow this list, so I'm confident
enough to run -STABLE :-)

However, now FreeBSD 5.0 is out I'm unsure of what to install on a new
machine. I'm aware that 5.0 isn't geared towards production systems,
and I expect there could be some stability issues or problems building
ports. That said, if I opt for 4.8 it won't be that long until I'll be
looking at reinstalling/upgrading to get up to 5.2 and the new -STABLE. So
maybe just opting for 5.0 and bearing with it for the coming months is
the way to go?

I'm unsure what's best here. Has anyone got any thoughts, or experiences
doing the same thing?

Tim.