Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:38:50 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i386/1893: partition tables not processed correctly to guess geometry

> >	We do not know what the full impact of this bug is. Is this
>
> It's fairly small.  max_ncyls is always wrong for drives with more
> than 1024 cylinders, so you have to enter the number of cylinders
> manually in sysinstall etc. if the drive doesn't report its size.

Unless, it is one of those where we >do< use the BIOS geometry (ST-506).

Also, sysinstall (libdisk actually) will calculate the number of
cylinders from secperunit/heads/sect_per_track rather than trust
the partition table.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.