Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:10:01 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        Richard Beyer <www@mnemosyne.muse.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My CDROM disappeared.

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Richard Beyer wrote:

> Newbie question.
>
> Anyone seen this happen before?  My CDROM disappeared between boots, and
> I didn't change anything.

	[snip]

I have this (in a very similar configuration, a fireball disk and an EIDE
CDROM on the same controller). It used to happen only after "warm" boots
(i.e. if you don't physicaly turn the machine off). It also got my CDROM
locked (it wouldn't open its tray when FreeBSD doesn't recognize it). I
attributed that to the "alpha quality" of the wcd driver, or some
hardware problems. The lock-up is so bad that even if you boot another OS (I
tried win95) in that situation, without turning the machine off, it
wouldn't recognize the drive either. Are your symptoms the same?
If so, just cold-boot your machine, it worked for me.

> Cheers,
>
> Richard.

Nadav