Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 18:33:33 +1030 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        mbranch@svpal.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp packet filtering

In article <Pine.3.88.9611252028.A26242-0100000@svpal.svpal.org> you wrote:
: hi,
:   what is required to get operational packet filtering
: at the ppp interface under FreeBSD 2.1?  I'm trying to
: use the rule sets that are in /etc/ppp.

 If you are refering to /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.filter.sample then
 this file has nothing to do with pppd or the ppp interfaces.

 This is a sample configuration file for iijppp (aka userppp)
 which uses the tunnel devices (ie tun0, tun1..)

: Is there a FAQ?

 "man ppp" should help for userlevel ppp.  As for filtering with
  pppd (aka kernel ppp) I'm not sure.  Try a "man pppd" and if
  its not described in there try a "man ipfw".

  Do not fall into the trap that because you have enabled
  some filtering that you have secured your system :)

 Regards,
  Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds