Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 01:39:45 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Ladislav Bodnar <distro.watch@msa.hinet.net>
Cc:        Haim Ashkenazi <haim@babysnakes.org>
Subject:   Re: keeping my freebsd secure... THANX

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:31:51 +0800
Ladislav Bodnar <distro.watch@msa.hinet.net> wrote:

> On Monday 14 June 2004 07:51, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
> > what's you're saying is very disturbing... I only moved to FreeBSD
> > because debian stable releases a new version once in a long time
> > (more
>
> I am in the same situation as you. But I am wondering - what happens if
> you just run the installation program from within an existing
> installation and update the binary packages to the latest release (say,
> your server is running 4.9, but you want to upgrade to 4.10). Is this a
> good way of going about upgrading, or am I just completely off my
> rocko?
>
> (I know this doesn't address the issue of security fixes, but at least
> you could get your PHP up to a newer version).
>
> In all honesty, I don't feel confident about upgrading an entire system
> by compiling from sources. Maybe it's because I've been bitten by
> upgrade problems on Gentoo, but also because, from whatever little
> experience I have with FreeBSD, compiling from sources can fail on
> FreeBSD too. My logic dictates that the binary packages provided with a
> RELEASE are well-tested, so that everything works together nicely. Why
> bother with compiling?
>
> Anybody cares to comment?

I've been using FreeBSD since 2.2.5 and I've never had any issues
updating the operating system from sources.  The FreeBSD Handbook
covers each step of the process so that it is pretty much just
follow the instructions.  Its really not a hard process but it does
require some practice until you get comfortable with the steps.

I update my ports on a daily basis.  I find its much easier if
its done in smaller increments than waiting until you have
several hundred applications out of date.  Typically, this takes
less than an hour each day with no downtime.  Sometimes I have to
restart applications that may have been running but that's a
minor issue.

Sometimes there are issues with ports building.  If an application
fails to build during portupgrade, then the old version is
restored.  If there are minor issues, I've found the ports
people very helpful in pointing me in the right direction to
resolve issues.  If its a very popular port, chances are that it
will be fixed very quickly.

I avoid binary updates and packages entirely.  I prefer to build
in my local environment with the customizations I want.  With
binaries, you're pretty much limited to what someone else has
decided are the defaults.  Additionally, you have to wait on
someone to build those for you.  These limitations don't exist
with a source approach.  With sources, there is also the option
to peruse the sources and make local modifications as you desire.

Some people prefer binary updates and they suit their purposes.  If
you're on a dial-up connection or its a huge application (like
Open Office), it might make more sense to use packages.

The tools to handle these processes are being improved all the
time.  They are light years ahead of where they were at in
FreeBSD 2.2.5!  Granted, it does take some time to learn the
tools and the process, but it pays off in the long run.

If you stay within the guidlines for building the operating
system and ports, then you should have minimal trouble maintaining
a stable and secure system.

Best regards,

Randy