Date:      Sun, 11 May 2008 13:54:13 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: root login stops working

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 01:38:52AM +0530, =E0=A4=85=E0=A4=A8=E0=A5=81=E0=A4=
=9C Anuj Singh wrote:
> Direct root login is disabled by default. are you able to login from your
> 10.11.12.104 as a non root user? What client software are you using on yo=
ur
> 10.11.12.104 for logging on to your freebsd?

Correction: Direct root login via SSH is disabled by default.  If you
need root access, you should use a staff account in the wheel group to
remotely log into the machine, then su to root.

You should, however, be able to log in as root from a TTY console for
local access.

The fact that remote direct root login is disabled is a security feature,
meant to prevent things like brute-force attacks on root over the
network.  It's a bad idea to change that behavior, in general.  Back when
I was using Debian for all my servers, I would configure sshd to disable
direct root login -- and was pleased to find that on FreeBSD it's
disabled by default, once I started using FreeBSD for all my servers.

--=20
John Kenneth Galbraith: "If all else fails, immortality can always be
assured through spectacular error."

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O--