Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 06:02:26 -0400
From:      "Robin S. Socha" <lart@socha.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFCE Window Manager

* Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in> [000606 05:28]:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav said on Jun  6, 2000 at 11:13:59:
> > Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org> writes:

> > > I used KDE for a long time, but got tired of it crashing all the damn
> > > time.
> >
> > I've been using KDE on several machines (including my primary
> > workstation) for several months, and have never ever seen it crash.
>
> Me neither, and it's nearly 2 years now.  We're still using KDE 1.0,
> though.

Reality check 1-2-3: what exactly are you guys talking about? "KDE" as
in "the entire *D*esktop *E*nvironment" or "KDE" as in "kwm and kpanel"?
I've been installing and uninstalling KDE for about 3 years now. It just
sucks. What annoys me most about KDE is not so much the fact that it is
slow as hell and sucks up resources like the "OS" it's looking like.
Rather, I see it as a major step in the wrong direction for Un*x GUIs.
If you take a look at, for example, Window Maker, you will see an
entirely different concept (which is almost as good as the one it's
trying to emulate). It's lean, it's consistent, and it certainly is a
hell of a lot different from anything a Wintendo luser expects. Does one
want to cater to the pathetic needs of these lusers and  - coming back
to why KDE sucks so bad - sacrifice tried and trued concepts like "one
job one tool" in the name of user friendliness?

Change your viewpoint: what does KDE give you? What is the added value
of running KDE over twm? You get a bloated WM, a sucky Windos emulation,
loads of crappy toy^Hols, random crashes (yes, I have rarely seen KDE
crash, yes, I have seen loads of really, really bad apps using QT). So
where's the added value?

Now, KDE 2.0 looks great. Konqueror might become a killer app, and the
office suite is certainly looking good. But then again, that's what I
thought about KDE initially. And boy was I disappointed.

The solution? There isn't really one. Except "startx xemacs". Which IYAM
is a lot better as a DE than KDE. For me. YMMV. ;-)
--
Robin S. Socha http://socha.net/XEmacs/