Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 15:07:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@bsi.com.br>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPDIVERT not working in 2.2.2

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

> .... context about panics with natd removed...
>
> Don't feel lonely.  You're the forth report of pppd/natd
> causing a panic I've seen.
>
> I think this problem is going to creep to the top of my list
> pretty soon.  It seems that most people that wish to use natd
> are people that don't like ppp for whatever reasons and want
> to go the pppd route.

well,this seems sort of obvious to me from an orthagonality approach..:-)
basically people appear to be doing this at the "layer" they are
comfortable at.

pppd folks want to use another daemon and ijppp folks just grabbed the
patch.

using natd and ppp would seem sort of weird to me at first glance..

i am an avid user of ijppp ( dba as user level ppp ). I have never noodled
with pppd. As a matter of fact, the only daemons i have successfully
configured are the ones for samba. and that was a struggle.

now i assume natd adds some functionality that cmott's ( and elvin
ecklund's? ) "-alias" mods to ijppp dont have. But what are they? with
ppp -alias and ssh everything JustWorks(tm). This means that all my needs
were satisfied using a patched ijppp with my existing configuration file
and ssh, which required no configuration at all.

just my 0.02..

> --
> Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
>       <http://www.awfulhak.org>;
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....

john

 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life