Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:57:37 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Chris Byrnes <chris@jeah.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hmm..passwords.

At 12:01 PM 11/21/00 -0600, Chris Byrnes wrote:
> > No longer correct. You don't need to futz with libraries and symlinks
> > any more, only change the value of the passwd_format login capability
> > in /etc/login.conf. The default is MD5 passwords for new accounts.
>
>Hrm -- I find it odd that half of my passwords were changed to MD5 and
>half were left DES in the upgrade, then.  Any reason for this?

Possibly and the reason why is that when using adduser the account is
created with a DES password.  Changing it with 'passwd <user>' will then
"default" to an MD5 password.  For the account to be created with a MD5
password login.conf _must_ have a ":passwd_format=md5:" for the class used
and cap_mkdb must be run.  A fresh install has no login.conf.db and running
cap_mkdb on it will not change this behavior.  Looks like the entry in
ERRATA.TXT needs some polishing.

Did you change the password for accounts that are now using MD5?

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve