Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 11:23:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why we should support Microsoft...

<Puts on flame-retardant asbestos suit>

I know I am going out on a limbe here, but I do not think the Justice
Department should make any decisions on the software industry, and I think
Microsoft should be allowed to ship whatever the hell it wants.

We are told that this is a free, capitalistic country, but now they want
to say it is just sort-of capitalistic? That you can make all the money
you want, until you make too much? What kind of crap is that?

I belive in economic Darwinism; that is to say, good products flourish and
poor products wilt away. The consumer ultimately decides what sells and
what doesn't, and not the providers. If Win98 stinks, I hope it dies and
forces MS to make better products. But who am I to say what they should or
should not try to do?

Adding insult to this whole situation are the demands of the US
Government. Now these are plain silly, and I applaud Bill Gates for
telling them where to go with their suggesions:

	* That Microsoft disable their browser, and _all_available_means
	  of accessing it. This is _almost_ reasonable, but  I can
	  understand the common vision of PC's as extensions to the
	  Internet. To make a browser part of an OS seems like a really
	  cool idea to me. Now I do agree 100% that other browsers should
	  be able to operate in the new environment (eg, no MS booby traps
	  or proprietary mumbo jumbo to prevent competition)

	* If MS does include a browser, they must also provide all
	  competing products as well. Can you say horse<dung>? That is
	  entirely ludicrous. To paraphrase Bill Gates, "It is like having
	  to include 2 cans of Pepsi in every Coke six pack." Amen.
	  As I said, take off the restrictions and let the best product
	  win. As consumers, _WE_ are the ones getting hosed in this
	  ordeal, not Microsoft.

	* MS must modify their "Window Manager" so that OEMs and
	  competitors can customize their visual. How would all the
	  developers of FreeBSD feel if I took a FreeBSD release, changed
	  the GUI a bit, and called it AtipaOS? You would feel smited.
	  Also, the continuity of the UI is the only thing that makes
	  supporting this crap OS possible. If everyone had their own
	  interface, providers would have a bear of a time giving
	  accurate, detailed instructions.

We must take a stand, and tell the Justice Deptartment to bugger off. They
do not understand the software industry, they are setting a horrible
precendent, and depriving the American people of free choice.

They are ruining a good, competitive environment by degrading the efforts
of the front runner, instead of promoting the laggers. We are all losing
out.

The issue to me is not whether or not Win98 is good or bad, the issue is
freedom. I support Bill Gates in this issue, and hope you will as well.
Hopefully, this product will fail all on its own, and open the doors to
good programmers all over the world, without US ecomonic intervention.

I hope you all can see through this junk. Liberty must be preserved. Let
the best products win, and let MS die on its own two feet.

Kevin