Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:12:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [btellier@USA.NET: Several FreeBSD-3.3 vulnerabilities]

I think you make a number of excellent points--that these are third
party applications, that we're getting toasted on bugtraq, and that
we probably did slip up somewhere and we should figure it out.  I'd
like to address them individually.

1) These are third party applications, and as Jordan points out,
there is no feasible way for the FreeBSD project and its supporters
to individually review all of the code, especially given that it
isn't even in our CVS tree!  That said, I think we should make it
*more clear* that packages are not our responsibility to secure --
for example, I'd like to see a specific dialog pop up before entering
the packages collection in sysinstall indicating that the code is a
third-party add-on package that may not have gone through the same
rigorous code review process used for the base FreeBSD source
distribution, and as such may suffer from security limitations.
Similarly, it might be nice to have a * beside package entries for
packages that need elevated privileges (setuid, run from inetd, etc)
to indicate that this is security sensitive code.  We know that
really all code is security sensitive (especially if root ever runs
it) but this would be a start.

Another issue here, though, is that we do choose the permissions that
files get installed in, as well as the paths.  Do these programs try
to install themselves setuid/setgid/etc by default, or is that an
ease-of-use thing we add?  Wouldn't it be better to require users to
be in the dialer group to dial, than having seyon run with dialer
setgid?  (or whatever the example was)

2) We're getting toasted on bugtraq, and it's not clear that it's our
fault.  We should determine if we have some responsibility for this,
and also if the bugs are present on other platforms.  If it's not our
fault, we should post a rebuttal pointing out why it is not or
partially our fault.  I'm all for taking responsibility, but not for
other people's problems :-).  A serious post on bugtraq indicating
the limitations on reviewing third party code, and a discussion of
the implications of package systems (such as .deb, .rpm, .tgz..) with
regards to auditing and distribibution responsibility would probably
be a good idea, and raise the issue for application developers as
well.

3) The loss of the bug reports as described is concerning -- but not
surprising.  Contacting the maintainers of ports can be extremely
difficult, and even more so for them to contact the authors of the
ports.  In many cases, application developers aren't interested in
the fact that we ported to FreeBSD (and in some cases, don't even
know :-).  If they don't even know it's been ported, they're probably
not responsible for verifying that it runs securely, although they
are responsible for stupid things like buffer overflows.  We should
probably include commentary on reporting application/port bugs in a
post describing our opinions on third party packages.  I'm not sure
what the best information/workflow solution is.

  Robert N M Watson