Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:38:29 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        pixfbsd <pixfbsd@earthlink.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printer job date change

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:04, pixfbsd wrote:
> I have FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT.
>
> /etc/printcap
> hp2200:\
>
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=3Dhp2200:\
>         :sd=3D/var/spool/output/lpd/hp2200:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :if=3D/usr/local/libexec/hpif2:\
>         :lf=3D/var/log/lpd-errs:
>
> /usr/local/libexec/hpif

I notice that the actual filter referenced in printcap is hpif2;
not hpif.

I would have expected that this would be where the PJL command is=20
added.

If some how it is added ahead of the filter you could edit the filter to=20
pass the input though sed to change the date in the PJL command
to whatever you want.

> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # hpif - Simple text input filter for lpd for HP-PCL based printers
> # Installed in /usr/local/libexec/hpif
> #
> # Simply copies stdin to stdout.  Ignores all filter arguments.
> # Tells printer to treat LF as CR+LF.  Ejects the page when done.
>

> printf "\033&k2G" && cat && printf "\033&l0H" && exit 0
> exit 2
>
> In the dfA009exampleFile in /var/spool/output/lpd/hp2200 there is the
> value @PJL SET DATE=3D31-12-2003.  I want to create a filter that will
> change that value to the year 2000.
>
> Why?  If you recall HP has date information in their printer cartridges=
,
> that after a certain date the cartridge becomes "expired".  Although yo=
> have plenty of ink or a cartridge that has been on the shelf for along
> time.
>
> If I manually vi the file I can print, therefore I was trying to find a
> filter that would send the PJL command to set the date to a default
> 01-12-2000 all the time.

Malcolm Kay