Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:28:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Idar Tollefsen" <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XEmacs fails to find sizeof(short) on Alpha

Idar Tollefsen writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I'm running FreeBSD 4.4 STABLE on a 21164A/164LX.
 >
 > When trying to build xemacs21-mule by running make in
 > /usr/ports/editors/xemacs21-mule, it fails during configuration.
 > It fails to find sizeof(short) and then dumps core.
 >
 > If I try to configure it by hand, it still fails to find sizeof(short),
 > but instead of coredumping, it displays a panic message and
 > exits.
 >
 > Anyone else seen this? Or more importantly, has anyone
 > found a workaround for it?

rm /usr/ports/editors/xemacs21/files/patch-aj

I have no idea what the right "ports" way to really fix this is. The
problem here is that xemacs21's patch-aj is setting up a special case
for alpha which omits /usr/lib/crti.o and /usr/lib/crtn.o.

I don't pay much attention to such things.  I assume these files did
not exist on the alpha at some point in the past, but the toolchain
changed sometime prior to 4.3-RELEASE so these files now exist on the
alpha.  When did that change occur?  Is it far enough in the past so
that it is safe to simply cvs rm that patch?

Drew