Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:17:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Kip Macy <kmacy@netapp.com>, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@packetdesign.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <casner@packetdesign.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a MaxAttach?

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Uh... the version of FreeBSD on the Quantum boxes is probably the
> same version of FreeBSD that was on the InterJets... *cough*.

2.2.something? :-)

Whatever version it is, I'm impressed with how well it works.  The
only problem I have with the Quantum SNAP boxes is the total lack of
being able to script any kind of setting of file ownerships or ACLs.
You have to set those entirely through the web interface, which is
entirely unacceptable when you want to do it for 2000 user home
directories.  The NT command-line ACL tools don't work, which is how I
script that kind of thing on NT servers, and I've tried in vain to
write a PERL script that actually accessed and parsed the web
interface and sent back the appropriate POSTs.  It almost works, but I
gave up for the time being.  The only other option would be to write
something to run in the JVM that is on them, and I can't find any API
documentation on setting file ownership or ACLs, not to mention I
don't know Java well enough to write such a thing in the first place.
:-)

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon(at)inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.