Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 18:00:28 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tar options

Could a kind soul help me figure out how to copy a tar file from a tape?
I know how to extract it alright ("tar xvpf /dev/nrst0" does it), but then
I have to tar it all again into a file (and I don't have enough space for
it all anyway). I just want to pipe it - I tried what seemed to be all the
possible combinations, with no success:

	tar xvpOf /dev/nrst0 | tar cvzf file.tar.gz -

	tar xvpf /dev/nrst0 -C - | tar cvzf file.tar.gz

	tar xvp --to-stdout -f /dev/nrst0 | tar cvz -f file.tar.gz -

	tar xvpf /dev/nrst0 -C - | tar cvzf file.tar.gz -

etc...

I realize this is not strictly a FreeBSD related question (eventhough the
machine is a FreeBSD box), so my apologies in advance.

Antonio