Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2006 08:44:10 -0400
From:      "Gibson, Jasen \(GE Indust, ConsInd, consultant\)" <jasen.gibson@ge.com>
To:        <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>, <alecn2002@yandex.ru>
Subject:   RE: To amd64 or not to amd64?

-----Original Message-----
>Well, probably this question was discussed here many times, but the =
last thread about "transiting from i386 to
>amd64" dated year 2004, so it's very posible things change since that =
time...

>I've just upgraded my home comp from AMD Sempron to Athlon64. Only CPU =
upgrade, nothing else.

>I've booted my old good i386-arched FreeBSD 6.1 and it looks like it =
works fine.
>The question is: will I have any benefits if I'll move to amd64 system, =
or it's safer and better to stay with i386 >arch?

>About 50% of time my children use it to watch movies (DVD, DivX, =
MPEG-4).
>From the rest I use it for working at home (RadRails, KDevelop, a lot =
of C/C++ compilation), and my wife use it to >access Internet and use =
OpenOffice.

>Problem-free operation and stability have precedense for me over system =
speed.
>Even more detail: AFAIK there is no amd64 NVidia driver for direct =
rendering available, is it correct?

>And one side question: will I benefit if I move to amd64 system and =
install gcc-4.1, over current gcc-3.4.4 that=20
>came with system?
>And the same - if I'll stay in i386 mode but upgrade to gcc-4.1?
>I mean here both compilation speed and efficiency of generated code.

I can't answer all of your specific questions, as I do not use FreeBSD =
as a desktop system, but I can tell you that the current release of the =
amd64 port is just as stable as the i386 for me.
I switched from an AthlonMP system to an Opteron platform for a =
production server.  I ran both the 32-bit and 64-bit ports on the new =
system during the testing phase, and they pretty much seemed identical =
in terms of stability.  I didn't benchmark to see if there was much =
performance difference, but I doubt that there was.  I'm using the =
server for Apache and Mysql.
The other main benefit besides the 4GB limit is that the 64-bit =
extensions give you more register space, which could significantly speed =
up computational-heavy applications.  Things like webbrowsers or =
OpenOffice, not so much.  I'd imagine a compiler would fit that category =
though.

There is no amd64 nVidia driver yet, which is annoying.  They released =
one for Linux, just not FreeBSD yet.  If that's important, then i386 may =
be the best bet for you.