Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 23:19:20 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4 -> 4.0 upgrade problems

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0003071816170.99791-100000@hub.freebsd.org> Kris Kennaway writes:
: On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
: > A better work around is cd lib/libc and do a make install.
:
: I'm pretty sure I tried that - I can't remember if it screwed me up
: (signal 12 errors) or just didn't work.

Odd.  I actually tried it myself not to long ago and it worked great.

: Sounds like a bug. However, IMO people should be building GENERIC as their
: first 4.0 kernel, because all the config file changes mean they won't be
: able to just use their old one, and chances are they might screw up and
: miss out something important and then blame it on 4.0 instead of their own
: ignorance. If we get them booting with GENERIC and prove they can (which
: is what the buildkernel target does by default), then it's more obviously
: user error when the next kernel they build doesn't work (plus, they
: have a working 4.0 kernel to fall back on, namely kernel.old :-)

Hmmm, I'll have to think about this...

Warner