Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 14:39:34 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Besides, i don't understand why you aren't using a local nameserver
> > anyway.
>
> The easy answer to this is that there isn't a Motif-based listbox
> setup for the nameserver code, where you just fill in the names you
> want, and it does the rest.
>
> The less easy answer is "it's hard enough to set up that it's not
> worth doing for most people".

Writing a Motif-based program would take a tremenduous amount of time.
Why do it if the basic nameserver setup takes about 10 minutes?  (No,
not the caching-only server, this one only takes a couple of minutes.)

I've seen the listbox-style cr*p that ships with some M$ operating
system.  The listboxes look nice, are terrible to use (it's a pain in
the rear to add all the same standard MX records to each host using
this kind of `editor'), but the vendor of that cr*p didn't get the
underlying nameserver working correctly at all.  (For example, the
server never hands out authoritative answers, even if it is for sure
an authoritative server.)  And finally, using the shicky-micky listbox
interface usually screws the nameserver setup at all.

No, thanks.

--
cheers, J"org