Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:33:37 +0930 (CST)
From:      tim peters <tim@lost.net.au>
To:        Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XF86-4??(newbie)

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Dale Morris wrote:

DM> I just install XF86-4 and am having a couple of problems. I installed
DM> XF86-4 from the ports and have also installed the x11/wrapper and
DM> specified XF86-4 in the /etc/make.conf file. I could startx into twm
DM> just fine, but now can't open a window manager from user directory.
DM>
DM> I created an .xinitrc file with the commands 'exec xscreensaver & 'exec
DM> fvwm' in my /home/directory

[snip]

"exec command" replaces the current process with the new command,
which in this case replaces the shell running .xinitrc with the
screensaver. so nothing after that line will be run.

you want:

	xscreensaver &
	exec fvwm

i don't know if this will help with the xauth problem.
HTH,

--
tim@lost.net.au