Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:56:36 -0800
From:      Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        rihad <rihad@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ixgbe input errors at high data rates

I have typically not had the bandwidth to do performance work on the
drivers, I am the
only FreeBSD engineer in the wired network division here at Intel, however
for 10G I
have changed the rules and have been working to make the driver perform
well.

10G is quite different from 1G, in order for it to work well its not just a
matter of slapping
in the hardware, the OS must be tuned, and the driver. Further, its an
ongoing effort,
so by recommending the CURRENT driver what I'm saying is that is my most
recent
code and thus, if all is well :), its also the best performing.

The difference between things being tweaked vs not is quite dramatic,  like
getting
only 2 or 3 Gb versus getting 9.5 when properly set up. The multiqueue stack
support
in 8.0 is part of the equation, and in 7.X you wont have that.

Hope this clarifies things some,

Jack