Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:03:32 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Some proposed changes in expectation of obj'able doc makes

Neil,

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 11:59:00AM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> I generated a set of patches to teach the doc building process to work
> properly should we have an existant obj directory, but for the old doc
> mindset, and I'm working on recreating them for the new.
>
> Currently, in Makefiles all around we have statements like:
>
> DOC_PREFIX?= ../../..
>
> I propose we change all of them to:
>
> DOC_PREFIX?= ${.CURDIR}/../../..

<snip other bits that look fine too>

I'm sure this is a good idea.  At least, it looks like a good idea, and
it looks similar to the mechanism used in the src/ Makefiles, and I assume
it's a good idea there as well.

But what does it actually do?  Would you (or anyone else on the list) be
able to write up a description of what the benefits are, and how they
work?  This can then be added to the FDP primer, so that newcomers to
the project have something they can read through which explains things
like this?

Cheers,

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>