Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:18:01 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nethack permissions

On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 02:33:44AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 08:04:47AM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> > The nethack-3.2.2 package package sets user and group to games.games
> > and permissions 664 for every file in /usr/local/lib/nethackdir/
> > This has been deliberately set both in PLIST and in patch-aa (I think)
> >
> > Running nethack fails with:
> > Warning: cannot write scoreboard file /usr/local/lib/nethackdir/record
> > No write permission to lock perm!
> >
> > What's the trick here? Are well behaved users supposed to be rewarded
> > by adding them to the games group or something?
>
> /usr/local/bin/nethack is a wrapper shell script that calls the
> real nethack binary in ${PREFIX}/lib/nethack, that runs SGID games:
> -rwxr-sr-x  1 games  games  1339278 19 Jul 14:15 nethack

Sorry to be so uninformed, but I don't understand those details. Are
you saying there's a mechanism to make it work OK for ordinary users
even though the files are games.games? That's not how it works here.

Or are you saing that it's only supposed to be played only by people in
the games group? That'd be something I'd need to be told.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-