Date:      Thu, 27 May 2004 09:57:06 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "MarciOnMaillist@web.de" <MarciOnMaillist@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing manpages

MarciOnMaillist@web.de wrote:

> Hello alltogether.
>
> I have a little problem with my manpages.
> Ok that's what I've done until now.
> I've installed FreeBSD 5.2. on my firewall - server with the
> minimalistic installation. I've configured all and got it successfully
> running. But if i tried to open an manpage like "man ipfw" there is no
> manpage available. So I took via cvsup the doc-all = tag. and tried to
> make the manpages but nothing works. I also tried to install the
> manpages with the sysinstall - tool. but nothing happened.
>
> So can anyone help me please? What I have to do to get the manpages
> for my System?

Hello!

FreeBSD technical questions should be asked at
questions@freebsd.org.  I'll give you a pointer,
though.

Check the contents of /usr/share/man.  This is
the location of the system manpages.  If this
folder is empty, or missing, you'll need to
get the contents of the source folder, which
is generally (/usr/)src/share.  Running
"make && make install" as root in /usr/src/share
should install the manpages for you.

If you already have manpages in /usr/share/man,
then likely your manpath is not setup properly.
Do you have "manpath.config" in /etc/ ?

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.