Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:30:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Yamaha 724, 740, 754, etc

I recently acquired a laptop (Sony 505HS) which runs fbsd just fine except
for the normal Sony slim problems (e.g. USB floppy).  However for the 505H?
they changed the sound chip from NeoMagic to Yamaha (should be better,
but no driver :-(.

I can get Yamaha datasheets for YMF724 and YMF754 from their website but the
chip in the Sony id's as 1073-0010 and the two datasheets I have id
as 1073-000d and 1073-0012.  Haven't yet looked at how different they are.
(I presume I have a 744 or such; no datasheets are found on Yamaha's website
(bad links; a search does show pointers to the pdf directory but the
files aren't there).

I wondered about how easy a driver (for just play/record for now; midi would
be nice and I don't know all that /dev/dsp can do) would be for the pcm
framework, given these datasheets (presuming that they are enough like
the chip I have)?

I have done some kernel hacking but it would be nice to start with a
working driver for something...

(or is someone planning this or something like it anyhow?)

-- Pete