Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:20:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: how to enable audio in the ThinkPad 600E...

> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:22:48 -0700
> From: Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
>
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:49:19PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:34:16 -0700
> > > From: Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
> > >
> > > 	I have RELENG_5_2 right now, but my scripts don't seem to pull
> > > 	in the latest/greatest files.  Anybody know what I'm
> > > 	stumbling over?
> >
> > There is not 5*-stable, so you can't get there. There is 5.2.1 which
> > gets security fixes. That's what RELENG_5_2 gets you. Then there is
> > CURRENT. At this time there is nothing in between.
> >
> > In preparation for the release of 5.3-STABLE (the first stable V5
> > release), there is an effort to limit the introduction of new
> > functionality. See http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html#freeze for
> > the official status.
>
> 	So I've got until 16aug until 5.3 is in beta.  Plus N weeks
> 	of testing/fixes.  ...
>
> 	I did try the ^device sound/^devive snd_ich  in GENERIC.

Since te 600E does not use the INTEL ICH chips, the devices to use are:
device sound
device snd_csa

You need to edit /sys/conf/files and then build your kernel. You must
also edit /boot/device.hints before booting the new kernel. Device hints
are loaded at boot time.

> 	The build was confused and quit.  I alo tried your mods
> 	to /sys/conf/files and rebuilt/installed the kernel.  I added
> 	your 'hint.pcm.0.flags=0x10"; line to the boot loader.conf
> 	and retried the real audio player.  Same error when the
> 	player tried to open the device.
>
> 	Is it: "RELENG_5_CURRENT"?
No. It's ".".
*default release=cvs tag=.
"." means the head of the CVS tree and it is referred to as HEAD. That
gets you CURRENT. Once 5.3 is declared STABLE, the tag will be
"RELENG_5". RELENG_5 will be a branch on the CVS tree and HEAD will
become the beginning of V6 (and this will become CURRENT.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)