Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 20:54:38 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1008471279.d3080b@mired.org>
To:        RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compiling STABLE with specific cpu options.

RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com> types:
> Hello,
> is it a good or BAD thing to compile STABLE using specific 'mcpu' options
> ??

It depends on your compiler.

> and the same is good or bad in compiling ports or kernel??
> I used mcpu=ev56 for my alpha CPU And I noticed I had some strange core
> dump problem with some programs.

Did you try recompiling without that option and see if it happened
again?

> Is it better not to include spefific mcpu options in make.conf
> expefially building STABLE ??

I don't know about the alpha, but for the x86 line, it doesn't do any
harm. It does some - minimal - amount of good. gcc has bugs when you
start enabling optimizations, and you may see that kind of thing on
the alpha processor for processor-specific flags.

	<mike