Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 00:57:40 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging...

Luigi Rizzo scribbled this message on Apr 24:
> I am trying to see what could be the best way to implement bridging
> within FreeBSD. The main app would be to connect 10/100 Mbit
> interfaces in the most transparent way (I know doing packet filtering
> on a 100 Mbit segment places a bit of load on the host and a
> dedicated solution could be cheaper/more efficient).

personally, I always thought it would be kool to setup a version of
FreeBSD that pretty much removed the vfs system, and most other parts
that have to support userland apps...

after that, you create a kernel thread or something similar that turns
the box into a switch...  then you simply boot the machine up, handle
the forwarding of packets between interfaces...

this of course means that you could dump the tcp/udp stacks along with
a number of other things...  you'd have something better than a straight
ethernet bridge...

think, FreeBeSwitcheD on a floppy... :)

it shouldn't be to hard to keep track of what interface has what hardware
address...  and it wouldn't have to be limited to ip either...  and think,
an 8meg machine could support up to 400k machines...  which is a bit
better than most switches support...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                      Modem Rev/FAX: +1 541 346 9237
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD
	    Don't trust anyone you don't have the source for