Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 16:29:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        karl@Denninger.Net (Karl Denninger), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntpd - VERY old folks, how about updating? :-)

> In message <20000101093905.B11872@Denninger.Net>, Karl Denninger writes:

> >> Remember to get the kernel code involved.  To do this:
> >>
> >> 	create a driftfile containing "0 1\n"
> >> 	start xntpd
> >>
> >> That will help.
> >
> >No it won't.  I've been running xntpd for oh, four or five years now on
> >various things.  Yes, the drift file is there (and has been).  Still got the
> >step time messages.
>
> Uhm, Karl, please try to calm down, OK ?
>
> I didn't talk about having a driftfile, I talked about using the kernel
> PLL:  ("Remember to get the kernel code involved.")
>
> With xntpd the kernel-pll is very optional, in fact only the source tells
> you that the magic secret second field in your driftfile controls if
> the kernel-PLL should be used or not.

Does it help in the 3.4-stable version to set the second value in ntpdrift
to 1?

And why has the manual page never been updated, it is clearly wrong
when it talks about the contents of driftfile!  :-(

> Anyway, ntpd4 is in CURRENT...

Well... that won't help the 20 or so boxes here doing this all the
time:
Jan  1 11:26:46 gndrsh xntpd[133]: time reset (step) -0.217546 s
Jan  1 11:32:06 gndrsh xntpd[133]: time reset (step) 0.207523 s

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net