Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:18:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Richard Nyberg <rnyberg@it.su.se>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port rc.d files

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Richard Nyberg wrote:

> Couldn't the files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d use /etc/rc.conf
> for configuration? Ie. for the openldap21 port the rc file
> could check for slapd_enable and slapd_flags in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> This would make it easier to have port installations
> in distributed filesystems like AFS. Maybe you have
> many computers with the same port installation but
> you only want one to start slapd. It would also
> make system configuration more coherent.
>
> I'm thinking something like, but maybe less complex than,
> /etc/rc.d in CURRENT. What do you think?

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use _enable variables to control
stuff in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. I would suggest that /etc/rc.conf.local is a
better place to put them though. /etc/rc.conf kind of implies that
/etc/defaults/rc.conf might be involved at some point, which obviously
wouldn't be appropriate for ports.

Also, it may interest you to know that now that the /etc/rc.subr api is
more or less stable, we've been seriously considering importing it into
RELENG_4, specifically for use by the ports. There are plusses and minuses
to this approach, but so far it looks like more plus than minus.

Anyone interested in discussing this further is welcome to join/post to
freebsd-rc@yahoogroups.com.

Doug