Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:29:43 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Robin Becker <robin@jessikat.fsnet.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: migration to 4.4+new HD

Robin Becker <robin@jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> types:
> I need to migrate my 4.2 system to a 4.4 version because my old HD is
> too small. I am making a backup of the / files that I need to take
> account of.
>
> Can I just copy all the password related files to the new /etc?

> /etc/group
> /etc/pwd.db                       The insecure password database file.
> /etc/spwd.db                      The secure password database file.
> /etc/master.passwd                The current password file.
> /etc/passwd
>
> or is there a way to just propagate differences from base?

This sounds just a *bit* dangerous. Might I suggest you do this in two
stages? Either upgrade your 4.2 system to 4.4 and then migrate, or
migrate the 4.2 system and then upgrade? Upgrading a system in place
is pretty straightforward, and mergemaster will help you deal with all
the details you're asking abou there. Look in the FAQ for instructions
on how to migrate your system to a huge new disk.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.